Record Setting Winter 2012 Auction for Spectrum Wine Auctions in Hong Kong
(January 10, 2013; Irvine, CA) – Spectrum Wine Auctions LLC, the leading California-based wine auction house, concluded 2012 with one of its most successful auctions to date. The Winter 2012 Auction, held on December 15, 2012, at the Grand Hyatt Hotel in Hong Kong, featured an extremely active standing-room-only saleroom leading to spirited bidding on 966 lots, with fierce competition on direct consignments from The Heart Collection, Château La Lagune, Château Meyney, and record prices for premium wines including 2005 Domaine de la Romanée Conti La Tâche. The conclusion of The Winter Auction rounds out Spectrum Wine’s year totaling more than $14.5 million in sales.
“It was really quite wonderful to experience the fun and lively atmosphere in Hong Kong buzzing again,” said Jason Boland, president of Spectrum Wine Auctions. “With big bids, laughter, and the positive energy of our favorite Spectrum Wine clients having a great time in the saleroom, it felt exactly like an end of year celebration should feel.”
In addition to its success in Hong Kong, Spectrum Wine continues to reinforce its position as an industry leader for the 21st century thanks to its ability to access the global rare and fine wine market by offering qualified buyers the opportunity to buy via the Internet using Spectrum Wine's proprietary technology. With almost 50 percent of the total sales of the Winter 2012 Auction coming through Internet sales, the company is one of the few in the space a mastery of the auction experience both virtually and in person - clients lucky enough to attend the live auction enjoyed great wines including 2002 Domaine de la Romanée Conti, 1990 Château Margaux, 1989 Château Latour, and 1985 Château La Mission Haut Brion.
Highlights of The Winter 2012 Auction included a double magnum of 2003 Château Ausone that sold at a very strong price matching a world record at US$6,000. In addition, Château Haut Brion Blanc as a category also performed very well, and Domaine de la Romanée Conti commanded great prices and spirited floor bidding tying record prices including six bottles of 2005 Domaine de la Romanée Conti La Tâche at US$27,225, and a single bottle of 1985 Domaine de la Romanée Conti Romanee-Conti eclipsing the high estimate selling for US$12,100.
Highlights from The Winter 2012 Live Auction:
- Lot 853: 12 bottles of 1959 Château Mouton Rothschild at US$30,250; HK$234,438 (estimate US$30,000; HK$232,000)
*highest price paid at auction for 12 bottles of Château Mouton Rothschild in 2012
- Lot 736: 1 double magnum (3L) of 1985 Le Pin at US$9,075; HK$70,331 (estimate US$8,000; HK$62,000)
*highest price ever paid for a double magnum of Le Pin
- Lot 344: 6 magnums of 1993 Château Haut Brion Blanc at US$5,445; HK$42,199 (estimate US$3,500; HK$27,000)
*highest price ever paid for magnums of Château Haut Brion Blanc at auction
- Lot 761: 4 bottles of 1971 H. Jayer Echézeaux at US$22,990; HK$178,172 (estimate US$25,000; HK$193,000)
*highest price ever paid at auction for H. Jayer Echézeaux
- Lot 422: 12 bottles of 2002 Jadot Montrachet at US$4,250; HK$32,937 (estimate US$3,500; HK$27,000)
*highest price ever paid for 12 bottles of Jadot Montrachet
Total hammer Winter Auction: US$2,300,654 (HK$17,830,069)
Total aggregate Winter Auction: US$2,783,791 (HK$21,574,380)
Percent sold by lot Winter Auction: 87% sold (836 out of 966 lots)
Highlighted Spectrum Wine Auction Results from 2012:
• The Summer 2012 Live Auction Lot 544: 12 bottles of Domaine de la Romanée-Conti Assortment Case 1990 in original wooden case at US$53,775; HK$416,756 (estimate US$42,500; HK$330,000)
• The Summer 2012 Live Auction Lot 166: 12 bottles of Domaine de la Romanée-Conti La Tâche 1990 in original wooden case at US$53,775; HK$416,756 (estimate US$50,000: HK$388,000)
• The Summer 2012 Live Auction Lots 549 and 550: 12 bottles of Domaine de la Romanée-Conti Assortment Case 1985 at US$44,812; HK$347,293 each (estimate US$42,500; HK$330,000)
• The Summer 2012 Live Auction Lot 235: 12 bottles of Chateau Petrus 2000 in original wooden case at US$41,825; HK$324,144 (estimate US$40,000; HK$311,000)
• The Spring 2012 Live Auction Lot 1812: 12 bottles of J.F. Mugnier Musigny 2005 at US$41,825; HK$324,771 (estimate US$25,000; HK$200,000)
• The Spring 2012 Live Auction Lot 1211: 12 bottles of Rousseau Chambertin 2005 at US$23,900; HK$185,583 (estimate US$14,000; HK$110,000)
• The Spring 2012 Live Auction Lot 1783: 12 bottles of Domaine de la Romanée-Conti Richebourg 1996 in original wooden case at US$19,120; HK$148,464 (estimate US$12,000: HK$93,000)
• The Spring 2012 Live Auction Lot 479: six magnums (1.5L) of Chateau d’Yquem 2001 Ex-Chateau, direct release from Chateau d’Yquem at US$10,755.00; HK$124,420 (estimate US$6,500; HK$50,000)
• The Evening Sale Lot 144: eight bottles of Domaine H. Jayer Richebourg 1985 at £46,000 (estimate £40,000)
• The Evening Sale Lot 42: one jeroboam (3L) of Domaine de la Romanée-Conti Romanée Conti 1990 at £40,250 (estimate £30,000)
• The Evening Sale Lot 113: 12 bottles of Château Latour 1936 at £19,550 (estimate £17,000)
Total Aggregate Live Auctions 2012: US$11,877,571 (HK$92,058,700)
Total Aggregate Internet Auctions 2012: US$2,640,000 (HK$20,460,000)
About Spectrum Wine Auctions
Following in the grand tradition of its sister auction companies, Spectrum Wine Auctions is a subsidiary of Fortune 500 Company Spectrum Group International, Inc. (SPGZ.PK) a consolidated global collectibles network. The company is a leading auctioneer of coins and other memorabilia, targeting both collectors and dealers. Building a strong financial foundation, Spectrum Group International is also a merchant/dealer of certain collectibles and trader of precious metals. The company's collectibles offerings range from the modest to ultra high-end in value and span the globe. Spectrum Wine Auctions also conducts semimonthly online auctions through www.spectrumwine.com. The company offers competitive incentives for consignors, including no insurance charges, no tasting wine requirements, no hidden fees and 0% sellers fees for qualifying consignments and the ability to consign both highly-collectible and commonly found wines.
Backed by many decades of auction expertise and driven by a team of dedicated wine specialists and enthusiasts, Spectrum Wine Auctions is committed to offering buyers and sellers alike the most accessible and expansive auction opportunities of what is simply the world’s greatest consumable and collectible product—wine. For more information on Spectrum Wine Auctions, please call at 949.748.4845 or visit www.spectrumwine.com.